Saturday, February 13, 2010

February Piece Finished

Here is my February piece finally finished.  (If you would like to read how this piece started, go can back a couple posts to get up-to-date.)  I had many challenges, and maybe some personal revelations, while creating this one.  As you can see, these are not traditional Valentine's Day colors (much to my little Sara's chagrin).  I was inspired by the colors in the pendant, and after all, I am a little less than traditional in a lot of ways.  I make my own way about things and don't necessarily beat to the same drum.  Well, I did put in some hearts for the traditional Valentine's Day (although in amethyst and copper), but I wanted something a little different to express what my love for my husband and children was like.  I was happy to find a wonderful assortment of elements at Artbeads to embellish with, and I decided to go with flowers.  They start out as little seedlings, they need water and nourishment and attention and then they slowly grow more beautiful each day.  Maybe the large heart pendant is like a sun looking down on the whole thing, shining love over it all.  Or maybe that's a little too corny.  I don't know.  These things all crossed my mind as I was stitching away.

I had 10 amethyst hearts but for some reason I only wanted to use 6 in my design.  Then it dawned on me...as I was making my little fans that look to me like pretty flowering bushes, there are 6 of us in my family, so there is one to represent each of us.  I almost didn't use the antique copper hearts, but at one moment in time they begged to be put on, so I did, but only two.  They are solid, weighted beads...they are not cheap, flimsy little things (I highly recommend them).  And I thought it was like me and Jeff...we are solid in our relationship and very grounded now.  There was a time when we weren't (which is a whole completely different long story), but now we are at a very good, solid place.  And that's what these copper hearts made me think of.

And then there were a series of pathways, each leading in a different direction, but isn't that really how it goes?  And the different little patches surrounding the vines and flowers reminded me of a birds eye view of the landscape.  So, to me this piece represents my family, our love, our paths, our growth, our roots, both at eye level and from up high to look down on the whole picture.  I'm afraid this sounds so silly and sappy, but I'm being honest with all the thoughts that went through my head as I made it.  Sometimes when I look at it, it's all cohesive, and other times I look at it and it seems complicated.  But I guess that's just how life is.

Your comments and feedback are always welcome and appreciated.

Love Blossoms



You can click for a larger view, too.   Happy Valentine's Day everyone!

32 comments:

Terri said...

Bravo! Just to get the envy out of the way I LOVE the beads you found for this page! The copper is fantastic, (also a fantastic conductor/I think of instant communications and connection.) Simple and complex is all the same thing to me. I see counts, colors , patterns etc when I am working, it can seem overwhelming, then I have a Rainman moment and it's all so simple. I love you work and how you process it! Great piece!

Carol said...

Not sappy at all. It's a perfect representation of the complications life presents and how love makes those complications "ease up" if not totally go away!

And the beading didn't overwhelm the lowering vines at all!

beadingprincess said...

I love this piece! I love how the large heart is placed in a spot of protection and spreading love out to the whole piece! I love sappy, and I love to hear other peoples stories. I am so happy for you that you have a wonderful relationship with your husband and kids.
hugs
kat

GraceBeading said...

Love... Love...LOVE it! Great work, wonderful beading. I really like the colors

Sweetpea said...

Heh, it's close to Valentine's Day...all sappiness more than welcomed, I say :>]] Well goodness sakes, what to say about this spectacular piece - how long have you been beading?!? The colors are yummy, the design is yummy and so is all the sentiment that went into its making. What a fabulous job you've done speaking with those tiny beads...

Unknown said...

I just love how it creeps off the page- especially the heart charm at the top. Well done!!

Ellen said...

I love this page, it's simply beautiful!

Crazy Mama said...

thank you all for your wonderful comments!

terri, i liked what you said about the copper being a conductor and great for communication...that's what we're all about, so the symbolism fits.

carol, thanks for saying my vines didn't get overwhelmed. i was really concerned about that!!!

kat...that heart is in a place of protection, isn't it? that was a great thought!

sweetpea, i learned how to do bead embroidery from robin the first weekend of this past october. i'm so grateful to have learned from her, because i just love it so much!!! i've got a lot of growing and learning to do, but i've got nothing but time during my days.

Robbie said...

Very cool! Love the design and the unique heart!

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
robin michelle said...

So beautiful! I love the colors on it & the copper hearts are gorgeous. It's wonderful to hear what you were thinking as you worked on it. Not at all sappy!

Lois2037 said...

What a lovely piece! I think the colors are perfect, and, because you didn't use the conventional Valentine's Day colors, it is not sappy at all, but sentimental in the very best kind of way.

Anonymous said...

Oh my! So intricate and I could look at it for a long time. There is so much to see, but my eye keeps coming back to the uppper right heart. How appropriate for Valentine's Day! Very, very pretty.

Penny said...

I love the movement of this piece - very fluid! This is beautifully representative.

beadbabe49 said...

Wonderful work and I love the back story too! Especially like the birds eye view aspect of it...

Magpie Sue said...

Holy cow, I didn't realize I was looking at the same piece I saw the last time I was here (when you had just begun)! This is amazing. It may be complex, complicated, but it's not busy or disconnected or anything. What it is is fabulous! I hope my beadwork grows up to be as good as yours someday!

Crazy Mama said...

thank you all so much! i so appreciate your comments and feedback! btw, happy valentine's day to you all!

Robin said...

Lisa, this is totally, awesomely, beautifully YOU!!!!! OMG, I love your shared thoughts and your faboulous bead embroidery so much that I can't find the right words.... When I look at this and think that you only started doing bead embroidery less than a year ago, I am humbled.... You and Jeff obviously have a very special relationship at this time and you've chosen a great way to show us about it in your piece. Bravo! Robin A.

Kathryn said...

It's lovely ! The colors remind me of the beach, which is a place near and dear to my heart !

Ati said...

O, wow, this is beautiful. What a patient to sew all !! those beads on. Great work!

Cyndi L said...

Love Blossoms...what a perfect perfect name for this beautiful piece!

Lynn said...

This is so cool. I love the explanation too - makes it so much more meaningful. I find that I tend to bead things in 3s and 5s. I have 3 daughters and am one of 3 daughters. I have 5 in my family and came from a family of 5. It's never planned, it just happens that way. Funny how that is happening to you too!

Dees said...

Dear Lisa, there is love just jumping right of the screen as I watch your piece. I love your colors and love how you state: that's how life is. I couldn't agree more, life shows us many paths some we wander on for long, others we only stroll a few steps quickly to return to safer havens. I know where you come from and am glad to hear you and Jeff are on firm ground now. Me and Rene are still on shaky ground but your post gives me hope and belief we will reach those calmer waters. Thank you for uplifting me.

Susan Elliott said...

Bravo! Your piece is wonderful -- the embroidery AND the explanation! I particularly love the heart as the focal point but that it's off center and it lens a curve to your edge. LOVELY!

Crazy Mama said...

robin, you are right...it is ME, isn't it? it doesn't matter if i try to imitate someone else's work, it always comes out very distninctly me, which i guess is the way it should be, after all.

kathryn, what i love about this type of work is that everyone sees something different. my story in creating it is one thing, but you saw something completely different...i think it's wonderful!

dees, the rocky ground jeff and i were on was because of my mental illness being undiagnosed and untreated (i was pretty crazy there for a while, and i can lol about it now). but i am in good care now, my chemical imbalances are regulated, and we are back to the way we were in the beginning...totally and completely in love. it's a beautiful thing!

ati, cyndi, lynn, plays...thank you all so much for taking the time to look at my work and leave me such nice comments!

Jody said...

Very lovely beaded piece, thank you for sharing, our hearts come together to embrace one another.

Barb said...

I am *crazy* about this piece. The most beautiful things in life aren't orderly or what you expect. They are what they are. It has a lot of energy of a life of spontaneity. Great work.

Tracey Leeder said...

Beautiful! I can see a lot of work and thought went into this piece. I love all the different techniques and colors. You are right, its not traditional Valentine colors, but it works in the colors you chose!

Crazy Mama said...

jotee, barb, tracey...i really appreciate your comments very much!!!

bubbygigi said...

Lisa, I love your piece. It is beautiful. Your selection of beads is amazing. I could look at your piece for a long tme and still find new things to look at.
Bubbygigi

Carol Creech said...

Hi Lisa - I missed seeing this piece until you posted March. I love this!! It's an amazing piece of beading and wonderful with meaning. I also love the copper beads. Thanks for sharing your thoughts and process with us!

Bobbi Ann said...

I loveeeee this piece Lisa, very gorgeous! It turned out perfect!
Hugs and happy beading...
Bobbi