Friday, July 1, 2011
July 2011 BJP....aka "the albatross" :)
The pendant was another challenge. I had no idea how I was going to bead it, but I got some beads and a stone to go specifically with the seed beads I used, so I was going to make something work. I had a few sputters and false starts, but I think I was thinking about it too much. The other night I decided to "just bead" and let the stitching work itself out. And it did! I went back to my first days in bead embroidery under the wings of Robin Atkins, learning how to bead "improvisationally" and "just do it". I am very happy with the way the pendant turned out. I didn't like the big gaps between the round beads surrounding the stone (a very pretty piece of fossil agate...that's a close up on the first pic at the top), so I just started going in between them all with the seed beads. It sort of reminded me of petals on a flower. Of course, my husband didn't think it looked anything like a flower. Do you know what he said? He said it looks like his grandparents' old sofa. Zing. Ouch. I guess he doesn't like it. Why should I be surprised? He rarely likes anything I do...it's because he says "it's not his thing". But I ask him why he can't appreciate my craftsmanship and artistry? He doesn't get it. Oh well.
The colors might not be the "IN" colors on the Pantone Fashion Report, but I thought they looked rather nice together. I used peach, tangerine and brown seed beads with the core bead in brown to create this triple spiral. I know one other month I did an embellished regular spiral, but this was much more challenging. The beads got real tight by the third color in the round and I really had to coax and push and pull the needle through a lot of the time. Working so hard on something, though, gives a nice sense of accomplishment, don't you think? It is just over 23" and is hooked with a gold-plated simple lobster claw. Oh! And I also tried a new stitch on the bail! I showed you a twisted tubular herringbone not too long ago, but tonight I did just a flat herringbone. I guessed at how to make the turn to the next row and thought, "No, this can't be right." I looked up a tutorial online and I was right! Gave myself a pat on the back for getting the hang of this beadweaving stuff and seeing how it should go intuitively.
Ok, here it is...my July 2011 BJP project and new stitch in my repertoire...
Also, the pendant is backed in a nice soft tan microsuede and beaded the beads using Nicole's Beadbacking. It is so nice to work with, holds its shape, doesn't fray or unravel...you should try it! Check it out at her Etsy shop and visit her blog, Beadwright.