Bead & Button. It's called Bugle Clusters and is based on the ladder stitch. I must admit that I am NOT very good at reading instructions or illustrations. I do so much better with videos. But tonight all I had was the written instructions. I used seed beads in two different colors each of 6/0 and 11/0 and then 6mm bugles.
If I understood the directions correctly I was to make 2 separate ladder stitched lines, 2 beads tall and divisible by 3. I went with 42 stacks. Then it's just a matter of stringing in the middles and stitching the top and bottom onto the middle in the process. In the picture there are the 3 bead picots on the top and bottom edges that goes across 2 and skips a space. In the skipped space I decided to go back and add the same 6/0 I used in the middle of the bugle clusters.
I first ran into trouble when I was trying to figure out the clasp. She did a toggle using a headpin. Hmmm. Ok. So I went searching for my 2" headpins as the directions say and got out my wire tools. If I strung the beads in the pattern she said, it wouldn't have fit on my headpin, even though I used a 2" headpin just like she said. So I adjusted it to a shorter pattern and made my little toggle. Then to attach it, it said to put the needle/thread through the middle 6/0 seed bead on the wire and go around through it a couple times. NOT!!! The needle does NOT fit through there. I don't know what gauge of wire she used, but mine was definitely too thick. And if I used a much smaller wire so that it would fit, the wire would be so easy to bend I don't see how it would be functional. So I scrapped the wire toggle and went with a simple beaded loop and lobster claw clasp.
My next problem was trying to understand how to embellish the center of the bracelet. I simply could not figure it out. I tried so many times, and it just looked like a heap of a mess every time. I decided not to embellish. Then once I was all done, my bracelet with the clasp was MUCH too long. I let out a heavy sigh and started ripping it apart. I managed to salvage the ladder stitched top and bottom so at least I didn't have to do that over again. And I was able to save a few pieces of usable Fireline. I only had a tiny bit left on the spool and I was afraid of running out. Then I put the whole thing together again. This time I didn't add the last single line of bugles on the ends and did the clasp instead from the middle of the last cluster on each side. When I was done, it measured just at 7 1/2", so I was much happier with that. Yes, I know that will still be too big for the thin women out there, but I think 7 1/2" is an average size that fits a lot of people. I can always make another one smaller if anyone ever decided they wanted one from me, right?
Even though it's not embellished, I still think it's pretty. The 6/0 in the center of the clusters and along the outside edges is one of those that changes colors from purple to green to a little bit of gold depending on how the light hits them. The other beads making the picot on the edge is my very favoritest (yes, that's a word in my book) purple seed beads. They are a true, beautiful purple and I love them. The bugles and other seed beads are greens, but not solid. The colors have a slight variation to them that makes them very pretty.
Here is my Bugle Clusters bracelet that I did tonight. And if you're keeping track, yes, I am still avoiding that other project that I can't seem to finish. Obviously I'd have a better chance of finishing it if I stopped starting new things.
And wouldn't you know it...good thing I was able to save a few strands of that Fireline because between the reused thread and the little bit that was left on the spool, I had just enough. Yea!