Monday, May 10, 2010

Lemon Squeeze

I show my mother-in-law all my work, and she ooohs and aaahs and thinks my bracelets are so pretty.  She's talking about taking them to work with her and showing them off, and maybe getting a sale or two.  She works at a pretty large high school, with LOTS of female teachers and staff.  Well, she seems to be obsessed with me making something in "blond colors".  She keeps thinking about her boss and that she might like to have one.  Then she keeps mentioning a particular outfit that is yellow and black.  I'm not a big fan of yellow, and wasn't sure what to do with it. 

I finally found this Serpentine stone that has pretty shades of yellow in it, swirled all around.  So I got that, and then didn't know what to do with it.  I bought a tube of transparent lemony-yellow seed beads that I thought were kind of pretty.  And then I got some pale yellow glass bicones.  So I got home and set everything out, and thought it needed something.  Well, I had to add some black to go with that outfit she keeps talking about, otherwise I might have done some complimentary purple or something.  I also found some pale minty transparent green seed beads that went really well with the yellow ones I bought...in the tubes anyways.  Thing is, once I started beading with them, you could hardly see any color at all.  Bummer!  So I sprinkled in some shimmery yellow delicas, which livened it up a little.  The photos really show a stark difference with the delicas, but in natural lighting the delicas are a little more subtle.  I added the bicones tipped with a black 15/0 hex cut in a pattern of two on a row, then one, then two, then one so there were 9 bicones on each side.  I got the the backing on and then the beading on the form and got the edging done.  Then I decided I hated it.  The bicones on there looked ridiculous to me.  I took the scissors and cut off the black tips, took off all the bicones, and then used nail clippers to snip the threads as close as I could (with nightmare visions of cutting the bead threads and ruining the whole dang thing).  It is very plain jane, but it looks so much better than it did before.

So here I am now with a yellow bracelet that I made with the urging of my mother-in-law, not even sure if this lady is remotely interested in a new bracelet to go with her yellow and black outfit...so I may be stuck with a yellow bracelet.

I read a blurb from one of Etsy's email newsletters about signing or tagging your work.  So I thought what the heck and I initialed my name with "Indigo's Beads" on the back of the microsuede lining.  You can click on the photos for a larger view if you want.

Lemon Squeeze




Also, there are two days left to get your name in the hat for my giveaway.  Read the next post if you haven't seen about it yet.

8 comments:

Carol- Beads and Birds said...

Good Idea to sign your work.

If your MIL works at a school..hurry and make a bracelet in school colors!

That is how I started selling years ago. My SIL who works in a large factory used to take my items to work and sold them like crazy. That's how I got the courage to do shows.

Think School Colors!!

xx, Carol

DVArtist said...

Wowowow I absolutely love this cuff. Fantastic! excellent! beautiful! full of life!
Nicole/Beadwright

Jan said...

This one is gorgeous! I don't wear yellow much either. Your transition between the yellow and blue is very well done.

Bellesanbeaus said...

I'm not normally a "yellow" person either but this one could convert me! It's very lovely Miss Lisa...I hope you get loads of sales! Have a great day...big hugs Beth

Mary Fox of Fox On The Run said...

This bracelet is outstanding! I do like yellow, so am loving it...

robin michelle said...

Another very pretty bracelet! I like the colors on this and you chose a perfect name for it!

Robbie said...

Just me catching up again! You just know someone will snap this cuff up quickly at the school! nice job as usual!

Bobbi Ann said...

Lisa, this is gorgeous! That Serpentine stone is very lovely. I don't believe that I've seen one before...very nice!
I have to say though Lisa, I love all your cuffs, I especially love the one you sent to me...thank you so much again Sweetie...I love it!
Hope you have a wonderful rest of your evening.
Giant hugs...
Bobbi