Sunday, May 1, 2011
I got this idea from Marie over at Art From My Heart. Man, is she awesome! She sent me a link to a cane that was made by stacking extruded squares on top of each other to form a pattern. I pulled up my Bead Creator Pro program and decided to play around with making patterns. Here are the steps Matthew and I took to make some new beads...
First, we decided on three colors: white, red and light blue. I wanted to bring light, medium and dark tones to hopefully give some contrast in the finished cane. I think it's really hard to extrude clay. We worked and worked and worked the clay both with the noodle bender (that's what my dh calls the pasta machine) and with our hands. The blue was exceptionally hard to work with. Maybe it was a stale block or something. We put that clay through the bender at least 20 times, snaked it, mashed it. We put it in the Stim Pak (that's what Matthew calls the extruder. A Stim Pak is a thing that you use to heal yourself in the X-Box game Fallout...lol...always about the video games with him.) Anyways we put the blue in the Stim Pak at least 3 times, couldn't get it to budge and started the conditioning process again and again. And that was with us putting it with the plunger side on the table, my hands around the barrel pushing down and Matthew's hands on top of mine pushing down. It would. not. go. My hands were hurting! I had him laughing so hard because I put the clay in his armpit to try to get it warm. It was kinda funny. I did finally manage to get it through, but I actually worked up a sweat working that Stim Pak!!!
Once we got all the clay extruded and cut to (sort of) even lengths, we started stacking. Here's what it looked like to start off with:
Also, I posted this pretty quick after my last post, so if you didn't see my leaf headpins I made scroll down to see those.