Tuesday, May 31, 2011
Bead Journal Project for June 2011
I really had a lot of fun with this stitch. I have admired it for so long in other people's work, but had no clue on how to do it. I finally found a link on how to do it, and I am ashamed to say that I can't remember where I found it. :( I did one monochromatic necklace and bracelet in pinks first. I was happy with the way it turned out, but it just wasn't, oh I don't know...enough of something. I wanted something that stands out a little more. Maybe a little more "fancy". I'll show you the pink one last because I really want to talk about the 2nd set I made first.
I chose 3 different colors of 4mm Druks for the core. I had a little bit of a problem ordering these at first. For the pink set the packaging for the core beads said 3mm (bought from a local store). Therefore, for the 2nd one I also ordered 3mm. Then they came in the mail...They were NOT the same size. I measured them both on the ruler and they both look like 3mm when measured, but the pink must have been a large 3mm and the browns a small 3mm or something because the 3mm Druks I ordered were so small that I could only do a 3 bead net instead of a 5 bead net. That just wouldn't do. How can 2 different 3mm beads be so different in size??? Crazy. BUT, since I ordered the Druks from Artbeads.com, they have a very simple return/exchange policy. It was pretty painless, and the replacement order was processed and shipped pretty quickly after they received the old beads in.
Back to the tubular netting set. I chose 3 different colors of core beads. One is a gorgeous tortoise shell looking bead, one is a brown sparkly luster bead and the 3rd is a brown matte. Then I used 3 different colors of accent beads for the intersections of the net. I used a bronze seed bead, a Miyuki rainbow matte rose/green metallic cube and a Toho orange/rust hex. The cube says rose/green, but it is really just a light colored metallic that is very pretty. The seed bead for the net is an 11/0 in medium brown lined amber Toho. I started and ripped apart the necklace 3 or 4 times before I decided on a pattern I liked. I took each of the core beads and matched them up with one of the accent beads and used the same throughout. The beads make a wrap-around diamond pattern that is really hard to see in the photos. Just know there is a pattern with rhyme and reason to it! lol
I really struggled with what to call it, too. (again) You know how I am about naming my pieces. I'm a little weird that way. I think I like "Noble Luster". It is very sparkly, and the colors just appear to be stately to me. Sara says it reminds her of Fall, but to me it was a little more than that. For this set I created a necklace, 18" long, a bracelet 9" long (but it's not truly 9" around. Since it's a fat bracelet, the inside circumference is actually smaller than 9" and fits an average wrist very well). And a set of little dangly earrings with 14k gold plated ear wires.
Here is the necklace...
Here are photos of the original tubular netting project I did that I embellished with a dragonfly pendant. It's pretty, but it lacked some "oomph". That's why I wanted to do another set that was a little more dynamic. But it's still pretty if you ask me. Here's the bracelet...
Bead Journal Project for June, 2011...done! I can't wait to see what I do for next month!
Oh, and one more thing. In my post with the little flower chain stitch, I forgot to give credit to the writer of the tutorial. If you would like to do that stitch, visit Inspirational Beading.